How to use a Box Mod Vape – Easy-to-follow Instructions
Box Mods Vaporizers are essentially high-tech vape batteries that can be equipped with many 510 atomizers for dry herbs, wax, plus oil and e liquids. Learn the best box mod practices here along with great mod tips.
by: John B. | 04/23/18 1:30PM
How to Use a Vape Box Mod
Box mod vape starter kits come with everything needed to get vaping. Box mod vapes are a unique and powerful way to vape. They come in all sizes, colors and have a wide range of capabilities not usually found in other more basic vaporizers. Box Mod Vapes give you complete control over the vaping experience by allowing you to adjust the watts or temperature control up and down in very small increments. Mods are essentially high-tech vapes run by an advanced PCB chip, powered by either a built-in battery or one that is interchangeable. And then all of the information and other functionality such as vape battery life can be seen and sometimes controlled on an LED or OLED screen.
Box mods work with almost any kind of 510 atomizer, though they first became popular with the e-juice vaper crowd. The powerful, adjustable mods gave this crowd the ability to blow huge clouds of vapor which they could use to perform vape tricks. Today, box mods are used for much more. Because they usually come standard with a high charging capacity, the average mod set up can be used throughout the day without needing to be recharged no problem. And because they can be equipped with just about any 510 atomizer, they also have the power to vape almost anything, from e-liquids to wax concentrates and dry herbs, which makes them a staple in the vaping community.
Guide to Using a Vape Box Mod
If you are new to vape box mods, then learning how to use them may seem a bit daunting at first. Unlike other basic smoke cessation products, box mod vapes have different capabilities and functions. In some, the battery can be removed to be charged, in others the battery is fixed in place. In the content below, we will go over in detail how to use a box mod vape starter kit, from turning it on to choosing the correct type of atomizer.
1. Select the Appropriate 510 Atomizer – Choosing the correct atomizer for your vape box mod will depend on what you are vaping. There are attachments for e-liquids, wax concentrates, oils, and dry herbs. Each can only be used for what they are designed for, so you do not want to put dry herbs in a wax atomizer, or vice versa. Each variant can be found online or in most vape shops. Most box mod vapes accept only 510-threaded devices, so ensure the atomizer you choose will screw on to your mod properly.
2. Fully Charge Your Box Mod – If you just got your box mod, you will want to fully charge it if you plan on going on a long adventure. Most devices will come with a micro USB charger that plugs into the mod and then a USB outlet. Other devices may have removable batteries that can be charged with either USB or a special dock to charge. The mod will come with a booklet on how to properly remove the battery, though most will slide right out. Depending on how powerful the battery is, it may take two to three hours to fully charge.
3. Attach Vape Tank Atomizer – Attach the herb atomizer or whatever atomizer you may be using, to the top of the box mod vape, just screw it in place. However, you do not want to over-tighten it as this can cause a myriad of problems. Lightly screw it into place, but do not crank on it. When done properly, the atomizer should stay in place but still be easy to unscrew when you want to remove it.
4. Turn the Box Mod On – Almost all box mods turn on in the same way. You simply click the main button (the fire button) five times fast. When done properly, the device’s LED screen will light up, indicating it is on. You can perform these five clicks again to turn the power off.
5. Use the Appropriate Watts – Most box mods will have the option to adjust the watts or temperature. There should be two buttons for temperature control, one to turn it up and one to turn it down. The correct number of watts to vape at will depend on the atomizer you are using. Sub-ohm e-liquid tanks and wax atomizers can handle a lot of watts and will have their limits written on the coil or inside the packaging. Oil vape tank atomizers only need a small number of watts to work, especially the popular, skinny pre-filled cartridges. Dry herbs require a small number of watts as well. Going too high on the temperature control can fry the coil immediately. The suggested number of watts for each device can be found further down in this article.
6. Powering aka Firing the Box Mod – Once you are ready, you can start taking puffs from your setup. There will be a power button, aka fire button on your box mod, named so because pressing it fires electricity to the atomizer’s coil. All you need to do is hold the fire button down while you draw vapor from the mouth piece. E-liquid and oil vape tanks will put off vapor almost immediately, while it may take a dry herb or wax atomizer a few seconds to heat up and put off vapor. You do not want to hold the button for too long, as this can damage the coil. Most box mods have a cut off timer, so if you hold the button for more than 10 seconds, the mod stops the flow of electricity to avoid damaging the atomizer.
Tips for Using a Box Mod Vape
Now that you know how to use your box mod correctly, we will go over some tips and highlights about these devices.
1. When using an atomizer for the first time it is best to get a feel for what wattages work best for you. To do this, start with the lowest setting and slowly work your way up. Some vape tanks, such as oil or dry herb atomizers, can only handle a small number of watts, so this will also help you avoid overdoing it and damaging the coils.
2. Pre-filled oil cartridges have grown in popularity recently. These small cartridges do not come with a battery; however, they perform wonderfully with box mods. You want to use the least number of watts possible with them as their small coils can burnout easily if you overdo it.
3. Box mods are also great for wax atomizers. Normal vape pen batteries do not have enough power to properly vaporize wax. A box mod is more than powerful enough to turn wax concentrates into a plume of flavorful vapor. It may take a few seconds of holding the fire button before the coil is hot enough to vaporize the wax.
4. Most box mods contain high capacity batteries that retain their charges throughout the day. This makes their battery life great for taking on adventures without having to worry about charging them frequently.
5. One of the biggest draws of box mods are vapor production. There are very few vape batteries that can rival the cloud production and ease of use of these mods. If you are someone who likes the look and feel of blowing out big clouds, then a box mod is the way to go. A sub-ohm e-liquid tank will put off the most vapor.
Using 510 Atomizers with a Vape Box Mod
Box mods will work with any 510-threaded atomizer. This includes e-liquid, wax, dry herb, and oil atomizers. They are the only battery you need to use across all these attachments, which makes them a useful device to own. You will find more information about these devices below, including the best number of watts to use with each.
Dry herb Vape Tank atomizers
are specially designed to vaporize or combust the dry herbs. By vaping the herbs, you cut out all the carbon monoxide and carcinogens that combustion produces. You will only need to supply your dry herb atomizer with a small number of watts for it to work efficiently whether combustion or not. We recommend running it between 7 to 12 watts to avoid damaging the coil.
Wax Vape Tank Atomizers
also pair nicely with a box mod. Wax requires a lot of heat before it turns into a vapor, and a good mod can supply more than enough power. Before vaping, people consumed their wax using a special dab rig, Domeless dab nail and a blowtorch. Now all you need is an atomizer and a battery. When using your box mod with a wax atomizer, a setting between 18 and 25 watts is optimal. If you go too high, it can damage the coil and ruin the taste of the concentrate.
Pre-filled 510 oil cartridges
have taken over the market recently. They come ready to vape, all you need is a battery. Box mods work well with these cartridges and will hold a charge much longer than a vape pen. However, you want to use a lot less watts than you would with other attachments as the coils in these cartridges are very small and delicate. As a general guideline, you should start with the lowest possible setting and slowly work your way up until you are happy with the vapor production. If you get a burned taste, then you have gone too high and want to dial it back down.
are the original go to attachments for box mods. These atomizers can handle the most watts and will give off the biggest clouds. Almost all e-liquid contains vegetable glycerin, which, when vaporized, turns into huge plumes of vapor. Every e-liquid atomizer is different and will have its own limits. In most cases, you can find the recommended watts on the atomizer’s coil or inside the packaging.
How Can Certain CBD Oils Be Used for Both Sublingual and Vaping Purposes?
One thing that we get asked a lot about is the different ways in which one can use a CBD oil product. We know that CBD oils are primarily marketed as tinctures, but we also know that vape oils and tinctures have a lot in common.
So, can CBD oils be used for both vaping purposes and as a tincture? The answer is that it depends.
Sublingual CBD (CBD Tinctures)
Sublingual CBD, which is commonly referred to as a CBD tincture, is a CBD oil product that contains hemp extract combined with a carrier oil. Sometimes, it contains flavoring ingredients as well. CBD tinctures are poured beneath the tongue, where they absorb into the sublingual tissue for fast activation.
CBD Vape Oil (CBD E-Liquid)
CBD vape oil, also known as CBD e-liquid or CBD vape juice, combines hemp extract with propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin, as these two ingredients are the base of all e-liquid products due to their ability to help the liquid turn into a smooth vapor. Most CBD e-liquids also contain flavoring.
The thing about CBD vape oil is that it often contains ingredients that are safe to ingest. Both PG and VG are approved by the FDA, and are found in many products that we ingest regularly. And, some of the flavoring used by vape companies can safely be consumed as well.
CBD vape oil comes in a bottle, and it’s poured into the tank or cartridge of a vaping system.
CBD Vape Additives
We want to quickly discuss a third type of product that’s becoming more and more popular. CBD vape additives are concentrated CBD oil products that can be added to any vape juice to turn it into a hemp-infused e-liquid. Often, these products are free of PG and VG, as they are being added to a product that already contains those ingredients. Many CBD vape additives are actually just CBD extracts, and so they can be added to both tinctures and vape oils. But, always check with the product description before using it as one or the other.
When They Can Be Used Interchangeably
So, when is it okay to use the products interchangeably? Well, the best answer is that it’s okay as long as the manufacturer says so. Many companies make CBD vape oils that clearly state that they can be used sublingually. Like we said, both PG and VG are safe to ingest, as are many flavoring extracts used in the e-liquids.
When They Can’t Be Used Interchangeably
Some CBD oil products cannot be used as both a vape oil and tincture. For instance, like we said, all CBD vape oils must contain both VG and PG, because without them, they wouldn’t be able to properly vaporize. CBD tinctures rarely have these ingredients in them. Therefore, you couldn’t just pour a CBD tincture formula into your cartridge or tank and vape it, as it wouldn’t work.
Similarly, some CBD vape oils contain additional ingredients that are safe to vape, but probably not great to ingest. That’s why you should always read through the list of ingredients of a CBD product before deciding how you’d like to use it.
We suggest that if you wish to use a CBD product intended for vaping as a tincture, or a CBD tincture as a vape oil, you ask the manufacturer. This is the best way to make sure that you’re not going to do something that’s not safe. Otherwise, you could specifically seek out CBD products that claim that they can be used for both purposes.
More Flexibility with Your CBD Experience
CBD vape oils and CBD tinctures can be used interchangeably only certain circumstances, as you can see. The best way to know whether or not this is the case is to simply see what the manufacturer has to say. If a product does not say that it can be used for both purposes, it’s best to avoid utilizing them as such.